Pages

Monday 29 April 2013

The Meringue Wars Part 3: Swiss Meringue


I'm still on the hunt for the perfect lemon meringue. The latest installment was inspired by a blog entry on Zoe Bakes. I'm so happy someone else is as obsessed with the different kinds of meringue as I am! This specific meringue was thicker than the other two types (French and Italian) and definitely closer to the creamy quality I'm hunting! I'm still on the path to perfection though!


There was a slight misunderstanding with my actual pie dish, so this pie ended up in my new pasta serving bowl. I think it turned out looking pretty though!

I made this for my wonderful Ani, her husband Jan and our favourite person, Shaun. Ani was the maid of honour at our wedding. She spent about an hour following me around with a glass of water, rearranging my dress and freshening my lipstick. Jan and Shaun were our ushers, and did an absolutely wonderful job. I've been wanting to cook for them to thank them for being there for me on the most important day of my life.


This recipe follows the same general recipe, with just the meringue being different.

Swiss Meringue
From Zoe Bakes

5 egg whites
1 2/3 cup sugar
pinch salt
1 tsp vanilla paste

1) Place the egg whites with the sugar and salt in a heatproof bowl.
2) Put over a pot of simmering water. Keep stirring with a spatula until all the sugar is dissolved, and rubbing the mixture between two fingers feels smooth.
3) Now, take the mixture off the heat, and start beating. Beat until the mixture is roughly room temperature.
4) Spread on top of the lemon meringue pie, and bake for about 15 minutes, of until the pie is lightly browned.

I'm not quite sure what to try next to make this meringue even creamier. Any advice will be MUCH appreciated. By me and Ane, who gets to eat all my lemon meringue leftovers, on threat of the death of her fiancee, and I happen to really love the guy..

No comments:

Post a Comment