Pages

Monday 13 May 2013

Simplest Chicken A La King


Sometimes things are exactly as they seem. Not like low fat cream cheese, or chocolate covered raisins both of which I occasionally eat because, even though I know better, they seem healthy. But sometimes that cake you see in the window really does taste as good as it looks, a book is as good as its cover and that sweet looking girl smiling at you really does become your best friend.


This recipe is like that. One day, I was heading home from work, and even though in general I'm not a fan of onions, mushrooms or peppers, I was craving chicken a la king. So I bought the obvious components, went home, and made an amazing meal. I've since made this multiple times- even without chicken as a pasta sauce. It's so simple, not too unhealthy, and an easy pleaser.


I had a friend, Sarah, over for supper and I wanted to make a nice stewey meal that goes down so well on these cold evenings. This went down really well, so I hope she'll let me feed her again!

Chicken a la King

4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts, cut into pieces
1 onion, chopped
2 green peppers, sliced thinly
250 g white mushrooms, sliced lengthways
60 ml cream
about 1 tsp corn starch

1) Put about 2 tablespoons of olive oil into a pan, and add the chicken pieces. Fry them until they are fully cooked, and browning. Season generously and set aside.
2) Using the same pan, add the onions. Cook until softened.
3) Add the peppers, cook until softened again.
4) Add the mushrooms, cook until reduced and softened.
5) Add the chicken, stir through.
6) Take the pan off the heat momentarily, and add the cream. Cook for a while to absorb the different flavours. Taste and correct seasoning.
7) Take a pinch of corn starch, and sprinkle it gently on top of the dish, stir through and check how think the sauce becomes. If it's not thick enough, repeat.
8) Serve with pasta or with a healthy alternative. Await complements.

No comments:

Post a Comment