Pages

Friday 24 May 2013

Roast Garlic and Bacon Guacamole for Mother's Day


I feel like it's almost cliche to talk about how wonderful my mom is.. I mean.. Doesn't everyone just adore their moms? Who else do they call when they're happy, sad, bored or insecure?


She's always good for a hug, a kiss and just passionate support for everything from looking for a new job to trying to make the perfect fried egg. She wants to buy me something pretty, even when she really shouldn't. 

She wants to make me a giant beer glass full of lemon tea and cheese sandwiches when I'm sick, because she knows that there's a time to stop worrying about your diet and just relax. Even if I don't agree, I can rarely resist.


My mom and I used to experiment with guacamole all the time. We loved avocados so much. Only recently did I go to a proper Mexican restaurant and find out the right way to do things. I got myself a pestle and mortar, and so far I've been pretty successful! This was my latest experiment, and I have to say, I'll be adding roast garlic to many other dishes now! Thanks so much Alaina from Fabtastic Eats!


Roast Garlic and Bacon Guacamole
Adapted from Fabtastic Eats

1 full head of garlic
5 rashes of bacon, diced
1 red onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 green chillies, diced
small handful of Coriander, chopped
3 avocados
1 lime, juiced

1) Preheat oven to 220 C. Cut of the top of the head of garlic, so that the tips of the cloves are exposed. Place on a piece of foil large enough to wrap it. Season with salt and pepper, drizzle with olive oil, wrap it up, and roast it for 30 minutes.
2)  While the garlic is roasting, fry the bacon until crispy.
3) Get out a pestle and mortar, add the onion, pepper, chillies, and coriander in, and pound them for a while to get out the juices, flatten them out, and mix them together.
4) In a medium bowl, dump out the contents of the mortar, peel and deseed the avocados, and add them too.
5) Mash the mixture through with a fork.
6) Season with salt and white pepper (if find white pepper works nicely with avo), and add a tablespoon or so of lime juice.
7) Squeeze the roasted garlic cloves into the mixture and work through.
8) Finally, add the bacon.
9) Taste and correct for seasoning and you can add more lime juice if you like.
10) Serve fresh. (we found the little bit of leftovers we had got very garlicky in the fridge overnight) (but we ate them anyway)

No comments:

Post a Comment