Pages

Wednesday 27 June 2012

Italian Summertime

Bruschetta

Maybe it's not summer in Italy. But making and eating bruschetta makes me feel that way. I feel.. Beautiful and sophisticated.. Like I'm wearing a silk scarf and giggling over a lunch with too much good wine. 


The flavours in this dish are a level above those I normally use. It tastes subtly of olives and Basil. The acid of the tomatoes is soothed by the olive oil. I loved the crunch of the bread with the tomatoes. I loved it so much that I'll definitely use a Ciabatta loaf next time as it gets even more crunch, and it's what I should have used in the first place..


I really loved this dish- it's like a gateway to appreciating more complex flavours. I find it hard to try new things with food, so I try to take a small step at a time. I love it when it pays off! It was simple enough to make, the only slightly messy part was skinning the tomatoes, which I'd never done before so it was really interesting! The stinging I felt on my fingers from the tomato juice hurt so good!

Delia was my mom's favourite TV chef when she still had her shows. My mom loved her mostly for keeping her kitchen so clean :-).

Bruschetta with Tomato and Basil
from Delia

6 rosa tomatoes (you can use another variety, these are the ones I got)
A couple of tablespoons of chopped fresh Basil
2 tsp Olive oil
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper

1 french or ciabatta loaf, sliced thinly
1 clove of garlic, peeled and rubbed in a little salt
About 4 tblspn Olive oil for drizzling

1) Put the tomatoes into a bowl and pour boiling water over them, covering them completely. Wait for 1 minute, then drain. You can now remove the skins quite easily. Chop the tomatoes coursely.
2) Add a couple of teaspoons of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and all the Basil and stir through. Taste, and add salt and pepper as needed.
3) Toast the bread under the grill on both sides, until dark golden.
4) Take a sharp knife and make 3 slashes across each slice, then rub with the garlic. Finally, drizzle about half a tablespoon of olive oil on each slice.
5) Top the bread with the tomato mixture, making a little mound.

Delia says that it's hard to believe that something so simple could be so wonderful- I couldn't say it better myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment