Pages

Monday 10 June 2013

Apple Crisp A La Mode


What is it about cooked apples and cinnamon that makes life seem better? One bite and suddenly it's snowing outside, and toasty warm inside, I'm in a wood log cabin with a roaring fire, a glass of Glühwein, the best book ever (Sherlock Holmes), a kitten cuddled up with me, and my husband snoring gently in the distance.


I got this recipe from an episode of Kitchen Boss. Although Buddy's knife skills are a little rough (like I'm one to talk), he sure does have some good ideas.. I have since found that Joy The Baker makes a very similar dish in her book- and I can't wait to try that one!


Apple Crisp A La Mode

Filling:
6 apples (I used golden delicious, but I suspect it might be lovely with Pink Lady and Granny Smith)
1 lemon's juice
4 tblsp granulated sugar
2 tblsp cake flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Topping:
1/2 cup instant oats
1/2 cup chopped pecan nuts
1/2 cup cake flour
1/2 cup Demerera sugar (soft brown sugar)
1/4 tsp baking powder
90 g unsalted butter, cubed and slightly chilled

1) Preheat the oven to 180 C.
2) Peel and cut apples in 1 cm cubes.
3) Mix apples with the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
4) Place all the topping ingredients in another bowl, and using a pastry cutter, mix them together thoroughly.
5) Place the apples in a baking dish, and top with the topping mixture.
6) Bake for about 40 minutes, until the top is browned and the apple mixture is bubbling up in places.
7) Serve warm with vanilla ice cream, in front of a fire, when it's cold outside. Or just pretend all that and eat it on the couch with a big spoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment