Pages

Friday 21 June 2013

Roast Buttermilk Chicken


It's amazing how the word 'hours' in a recipe just puts me right off. It's never an instruction to do something for hours, just allowing things to rest, rise, absorb or marinate, but still for me it's like someone not using a photo on a dating site- I steer well clear. 

There's never time to wait an hour, 2 hours or 24 hours! This panic builds up inside me.. I would love to have the time to spend 8 hours or more making homemade puff pastry, but I have a job, exercise and studying to do, plus there's the keeping non-filthy, sleeping way too little and spending good quality time nagging my husband!


We should all overcome our fears though, right? I started small.

This chicken needs to marinate for at least 24 hours and up to 48 hours. I quickly put it together one night when I was tidying up after supper, and just popped them in the oven two nights later. It turned out much simpler than I thought- and garlicky, soft and lovely.

Buttermilk Roast Chicken
From Smitten Kitchen

1 cups buttermilk
5 garlic cloves
0.5 tblsp salt
0.5 tblsp sugar
1 tsp paprika (I used hot, not sweet)
4 chicken thighs

1) Mix all the ingredients in a ziplock bag (put everything in, close the bag and squoosh it around in your hands), and pop in the fridge for 24-48 hours.
2) Preheat oven to 200 C.
3) Line a baking dish with foil, take the chicken thighs out of the bag and place them in.
4) Drizzle thighs with a bit of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and paprika.


5) Bake until the skin looks like it's starting to burn- about 40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment