Pages

Monday 10 October 2011

Brownie Experiment: Death by Brownie Brownies

American Chocolate Brownies

These brownies are just SO decadent.. My second attempt in the brownie experiment was a divine success..


When I was still in university, I had this friend, called Niqui. She was raising 3 girls and all her cooking was fantastic. I was in awe of her, and her brownies were always better than anyone else's. I got her recipe and I was soon making this for my friends on all special occasions (at varsity I knew how to make 3 things: meringues, brownies and crumpets). I lost the recipe a few years ago, and with losing weight and trying to stay healthy, I was really hoping not to find it again.. But oh I did..


When I found this recipe again I immediately invited Brandon and Ane for supper. They had to try these! They're the reason for the Brownie Experiment, and Brandon is one of my favourite people in the whole world, and Ane is quickly becoming one too. I want to make them brownies all the time!!


American Chocolate Brownies
From Niqui

200 ml buttermilk
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda

2 eggs

2 1/2 cups flour
2 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp salt

3 heaped tblsp cocoa
3/4 cups sunflower oil
1 1/2 cups water
200g margarine

1) Preheat oven to 160 C. 
2) Mix buttermilk and bicarb in a jug, and allow to foam.
3) Beat the eggs until they turn pale yellow.
4) Sift together the flour, sugar and salt.
5) Put the cocoa, sunflower oil, water and margarine in a pot, and bring to the boil.
6) Add the boiling liquid to the flour mixture and mix well.
7) Add the beaten eggs and mix well.
8) Add the bicarb mixture and mix well.
9) Pour into baking tray, I used a largish rectangular glass tray.
10) Bake for 1 1/4 hours, or until the brownies come away from the sides of the dish.

Fudge Topping

3 tblsp cocoa
125ml margarine
3 tblsp buttermilk
500g icing sugar

11) Just before the brownies come out, melt all the ingredients in a pot, on a medium heat.
12) Pour over brownies as they come out, and allow them to cool fully before cutting up and serving.

I love watching Ane eat brownies. She just loves them so much. I think if I saw her more often I might just spend my life baking brownies for her- a very fulfilling career choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment