Pages

Wednesday 12 October 2011

Giggling Dogs

Snickerdoodles (Sniggerpoodles?)

These aren't really famous in South Africa, and I really, really, REALLY wonder why. I made these just before bed, and fell asleep to the smell of cinnamon and nutmeg. What a wonderful way to live.


I found this recipe in Nigella Lawson's How to be a Domestic Goddess. I was sitting around late on Sunday afternoon, and looking for something to make that would mean that I wouldn't have made nothing over the weekend, but wouldn't take too much effort either. I thought I would make something super easy and quick after supper, but still delicious enough that I could feel fulfilled from the weekend.


I was very suspicious of these cookies. You can't quite tell when they're done because they're so dark from the cinnamon, so I overbaked them a little. Then I just couldn't bring myself to try one. I'm not a huge fan of cookies. In fact, I only really made these because Nigella says they're a cross between cake and cookies so I thought that would be great.

I took some to work on Monday morning, dipped them in tea and fell in love.. If there's one thing you will do with these cookies, you have to dip them in tea!! I mean.. It turns out they're amazing anyway.. But you know how you fall in love with someone because of one thing, but then love everything about them? That's how it was for me with these marvellous cookies.



Snickerdoodles
From Nigella

250g cake flour
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
125 g butter
100g plus 1 tblsp caster sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 tblsp cinnamon

1) Preheat oven to 180 C
2) Sift the flour, nutmeg and baking powder into a bowl.
3) In a separate bowl, cream the butter and all except 1 tblsp sugar. Then add the egg and vanilla.
4) Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, and mix with a spoon until it's smooth and consistent.
5) Mix the tablespoon of sugar with the cinnamon, and put onto a flat plate.
6) Take just over a tablespoon at a time from the dough with your fingers, and roll between your palms to form a sphere.
7) Roll the spheres in the cinnamon mixture, and place onto a lined baking tin. I lined mine with silicone liners (the second time I made these they were much more uniform, but that doesn't matter :-) ):


8) Bake these for about 15 minutes. It's slightly difficult to tell when they're done, but the second time around I took them out after 15 minutes exactly and they were perfect.

Ralph came up with the happy photos for these delicious little guys, that naughty kitty came all the way from Boston to be in these photos! I can't believe I doubted these swonderful (I said swonderful!) cookies. They lived up to their reputation: a cookie that turns into cake when dunked in tea! I almost made another batch tonight. Going to have to fight the urge tomorrow! One day at a time!

Update: I ended up making these again two days later. I wanted some for the office and the first batch was so good that it all got finished.. I'll start fighting the urge tomorrow again!

No comments:

Post a Comment