Pages

Friday 4 May 2012

Raspberries and Lemons

Raspberry Cake

I've rediscovered Smitten Kitchen.. I don't know how I didn't get completely obsessed with it before, but I'm making up for it this time. I bought a large punnet of raspberries and was looking up recipes, and I found one there. I love these kinds of cakes- I think they're called dinner cakes or everyday cakes? They're delicious and not so exciting that you can't eat them whenever.


This cake was a huge hit with grown ups! I made it on Sunday night for the office, and again on Tuesday for the family with the rest of my raspberries! The kids.. They detected the hint of lemon zest.. I still have an image of Emily scraping the cake off her tongue in my head whenever I think about this cake. Sophie ate it happily it but first picked out all the raspberries- which is where Ralph stands too. I don't know what they're talking about.. I could easily eat this entire cake myself - it's got just the right balance of sour and sweet and the top of the cake gets slightly crunchy while the inside is soft and squishy with raspberries.. And it's SO easy to make!

I didn't change the Smitten Kitchen recipe here, so I won't rewrite it. You can find it here.

This is exactly the kind of cake that that perfect pretty woman with the pouffy skirt and heels and red lipstick at home serves after supper (this is how I like to picture myself, though I'm mostly in pyjamas, barefoot and my lips tend to be covered in stolen cookie crumbs..). Because she wants to make dessert for a normal weekday supper, just because she's that awesome :-).

No comments:

Post a Comment