Pages

Tuesday 8 May 2012

Soft Giants

Giant Soft Iced Cookies

These are just such a nice treat.. I made them around Valentines day- and the batch was so big that I really got to share the love with family, neighbors and pretty much anyone else who wanted one!


It's strange to think to back then- even though it wasn't that long ago. Things were so happy and whole.. We had this sweet happy routine and I was in a daze of smiling and cooking.. Then my gran passed away, and it's hard to remember happy pink things now. 

If you've read some of the other posts in this blog, you'll know my gran really inspired my cooking. She didn't live in South Africa, but when she visited I would get her to teach me how to cook. It's been hard trying to think about cooking and baking when I keep picturing her soft tiny hands doing the things I'm doing, the way she used to scoop flour with a normal tablespoon, her sweet velvety voice calling me endearments.. Ralph tells me this is going to get easier. And it is getting there I guess.. I'm feeling more like cooking lately, because it makes me feel less sad and rather closer to her. 

These cookies are, in my opinion, great for beginner bakers. They are simple vanilla cookies with vanilla icing, and your choice of decoration. They are difficult to ruin and real crowd pleasers. The kids ate them really easily too!



Giant Soft Cookies
From Annie's Eats and Cook Like a Champion

563 g cake flour
4 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
340 g unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 large free-range eggs
5 tsp vanilla extract

1) Preheat oven to 180 C
2) Combine and whisk flour, baking powder and salt
3) In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar until soft and fluffy.
4) Add the eggs, one at a time, each time beating until fully incorporated.
5) Add the vanilla.
6) Add the dry ingredients, and chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
7) Pleace large balls of dough (about a 1/4 cup) on greased baking trays. Flatten a bit. Leave room between cookies.
8) Bake for about 10 minutes, until they start browning on the outside edge.
9) Let them cook without moving them for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.
10) Ice with buttercream icing (Made of butter, icing sugar and milk- sample recipe can be found here)
11) Sprinkle with your favourite sprinkles!

My little secret is that I don't tend to like cookies much. But these were so soft.. Like cupcakes in a cookie shape. Really simple and lovely!

No comments:

Post a Comment