In Ukraine, we would probably eat buckwheat at least once a week. It was a standard side for Beef Stroganoff and Schnitzels and even often served as a sort of porridge for grumpy children like myself.
This porridge is soft and has a flavour that some might describe as slightly nutty. With butter it's just so comforting and delicious. From what I understand it's lighter than starch sides, so it's just a little bit better for that Friday night when I just want some comfort.
When I eat food that reminds me of my childhood, I feel so so close to my gran. I can almost see what her tiny hands would look like dishing up my meal. She would always sit and watch me eat, like it was her favourite show ever.
My wonderful mom
1 cup buckwheat
2 cups water
1) First, wash the buckwheat with tap water.
2) Tip it out onto a pan, put on a medium heat, and dry it out and brown it a little bit.
3) Now put the water in a pot and bring it to the boil, add the buckwheat and put on a low heat.
4) Cover and let boil for 20 minutes. Don't lift the lid!
5) Add butter, serve immediately.
For grumpy children, add some milk instead of butter. I think I also convinced my parents to add some sugar?