I wanted to write a love letter to women in the form of a cake. I don't know how I would go through my life without every single woman in it! There's this amazing supportive relationship that seems to just happen between women- and I'm super super SUPER grateful for it. Of course, by the look of the cake, you'd think I wasn't.. But if only you'd tasted it!
It was the weekend after Valentines Day, and the perfect time. I invited my gorgeous dancing girls to a picnic, and set about looking for something super decadent- completely over the top and just for girls! I found my answer on Foodie Bride.
The cake was oh-my-goodness-perfect. The brownie base was chewy and crunchy, the chocolate mouse was oh-so-smooth, the cake was soft and moist and the ganache was just so silky.
Everyone that tried this cake absolutely raved about it, and not sharing it was harshly punishable, as poor Brandon found out when Ane found the tell-tale dirty lunchbox in his bag. Poor poor Ane- I mean Brandon!
Silky, Soft, Smooth and Spectacular Chocolate Cake
From Confessions of a Foodie Bride
78 g flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
85 g dark chocolate (I used Bournville)
85 g unsalted butter
280 g sugar
2 extra-large eggs
2 tsp vanilla essence
65 g dark chocolate (I used Bournville)
1/8 cup cocoa
1/4 cup hot water
63 g sugar
110 g flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 extra-large eggs
1 extra-large egg-yolk
156 g sugar
85 g unsalted butter, soft
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla essence
170 dark chocolate (I used Bournville)
1 7/8 cup cream
1 tblsp sugar
1.5 cups cream
30 g unsalted butter
510 g dark chocolate (I used Bournville)
1) Preheat oven to 160 C. Grease and line a 9 inch springform pan.
2) Whisk dry ingredients (flour, salt and baking powder) in a bowl and set aside.
3) Melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler.
4) Add sugar a bit at a time, whisking thoroughly.
5) Add the eggs one at a time, whisking well after each addition.
6) Add vanilla essence.
7) Add half of the dry mixture, and fold in gently, then add the other half.
8) Pour into pan, and bake for about 30 minutes, until a skewer comes out almost clean.
9) Take out of the oven and allow to cool in the pan.
1) Keep oven at 160 C. Grease and line a 9 inch cake pan.
2) Put chocolate, cocoa and hot water in a double boiler, stir until all melted. Add sugar and whisk thoroughly, then set aside to cool.
3) Whisk dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt) in a bowl and set aside.
4) Beat eggs thoroughly, then add sugar and beat thoroughly again, until the mixture is pale and fluffy.
5) Add cooled chocolate mixture to egg mixture and mix thoroughly.
6) Add butter bit by bit and mix thoroughly.
7) Add the flour and buttermilk alternately, starting and ending with the flour (3 additions of flour, and 2 of buttermilk).
8) Pour into pan, and bake for about 30 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool in pan until settled (about 15 minutes), then carefully turn out onto a wire rack.
1) Put a bowl and beaters in the fridge or the freezer.
2) Melt the chocolate in a double boiler, and set aside.
3) Take bowl and beaters out of the fridge, and beat cream to stiff peak stage.
4) Add about a cup of the cream to the chocolate mixture and whisk in thoroughly.
5) Add the chocolate mixture to the rest of the cream, and fold in gently.
6) Place in the fridge until needed.
1) Place chocolate in a stainless steel bowl.
2) Bring cream and butter to the boil in a small saucepan, and pour over the chocolate.
3) Let stand for 5 minutes, then stir until smooth.
4) Take 1 cup out and put in the fridge, and let the rest cool to room temperature.
Getting it all together:
1) Spread chocolate mousse on the brownie bottom.
2) Place chocolate cake on top of the mousse. Place whole stack in the fridge for an hour.
3) Remove springform tin, lining and bottom.
4) Spread room temperature ganache all arounf the cake.
5) Use the cooled ganache to pipe swirls onto the cake, and decorate the bottom.
The picnic was just wonderful.. I love it when other people cook and feed me delicious things- makes me feel all warm inside :-).