Pages

Thursday 18 April 2013

Brownie Experiment: Bouchons

Bouchons

I love Bouchon Bakery. I love Bouchon like I imagine girls used to love Paul McCartney (I'm a Ringo girl through and through). I feel like their book changed me. And guess where Ralph took me on honeymoon?? NYC!! Where two Bouchon Bakeries live!


These days it seems like every time there's a hype about any bakery their baked goods are disappointing. But Bouchon didn't let us down! I even let myself get very optimistic about Bouchon. But I could FEEL their passion and experience in that brownie.. And the cookie.. And the croissant.. And the brioche.. Just like when McCartney sang love songs, every girl felt loved.


This is the first recipe I've tried from the Bouchon Bakery book. The bouchons didn't turn out quite like those pure chocolate, melty, soft, addictive little things we had in New York, but moreish they were! Up to Ane where they land in the brownie scale? Her unashamed sultry staring made my cake box blush, so it's looking good.


Bouchons
From Bouchon Bakery

141 g butter
50 g cake flour
50 g cocoa powder
small pinch salt
75 g eggs (beat two eggs, then measure out the weight)
162 g sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla paste
112 g chocolate chips
Icing sugar for dusting

1) Halve the butter. Melt half on a medium heat, and put the other half in a bowl. Pour the melted butter over the rest, and stir together. The unmelted butter will soften, and the mixture will become creamy.
2) Whisk together flour, cocoa and salt in a separate bowl.
3) Whisk together the eggs, sugar and vanilla in a separate larger bowl.
4) Now, alternate adding the flour and butter to mixture from step 3, in 3 additions each.
5) Add the chocolate chips and stir in.
6) Set aside for 2 hours.
7) Preheat oven to 180 C.
8) If using a muffin tin, these brownies take about 15-20 minutes. I'd perhaps suggest a mini muffin tin, and of course a much shorter time. Poke with a toothpick to check doneness, it should come out clean with perhaps just a bit of chocolate, but no dough.
9) Once out the oven, dust these naughty things with icing sugar.

These were gone with a lot of sad eyes wishing there were more. I'd definitely make two batches!

No comments:

Post a Comment