Pages

Friday 26 April 2013

Grandma's Stuffed Peppers Made Easy


 We finally went away fishing with Ralph's sister again! Last time was so much fun! Board games, reading, fishing and playing with the kids- woohoo!! This time I actually got to fish on my own (I'm a newbie fly-fisher) and I caught a crab! Sweet little thing kept trying to get at the fly after I put him back in the water. We stayed in this sweet, homey, badly lit wood cabin, and I got to make one of our suppers!


Did I mention that I made this in my(our!) brand new Le Creuset pot?!


We wanted something simple to reheat and as carb free as possible - and there's not a drop of oil in this dish, and only about a handful of rice. My gran used to make a similar recipe and I wanted to simplify it so I can make it into an easy supper, and still feel like my gran was in my home.

Stuffed Peppers
Adapted From Always Missed Tiny Grandma

500 g lean beef mince
1/2 cup chopped Coriander
1/2 cup cooked Basmati rice (just boil and drain)
4 large bell peppers
820 g chopped tomatoes with juice (2 cans)
45 g tomato paste

1) Preheat oven to 150 C.
2) Put the mince into a bowl, add generous pinches of salt and pepper, the rice and the coriander.
3) Cut the tops off the peppers, and clean out all the seeds and white bits inside.
4) Divide the mince equally between the peppers.
5) Pour chopped tomatoes and tomato paste into a deep baking dish large enough for all the peppers. Season generously and mix lightly with a fork.
6) Place the peppers in the dish. And of they're not 3/4 covered by the tomato mixture, top up with boiling water.
7) Place in the oven, and bake for about 2 hours. Turn after about an hour so they don't brown too much. I've been known to go for a run while they're baking- they're that low maintenance. 
8) Serve covered in sauce, with a dollop of sour cream.

And here's the bonus: There's always sauce and if you're lucky half a pepper left. Cook this down, add a bit of cream and serve as a pasta sauce. 



Just add a bit of pasta water to the sauce as it's cooking, and a tiny knob of butter just before you serve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment