Pages

Wednesday 16 November 2011

Exploding Blueberries

Blueberry Muffins

Don't they just kindof scream 'healthy happy home'? I've made blueberry muffins before, but always with canned blueberries. This time there was a sale on fresh blueberries, and I just had to make something with them.


I made these for my office. I'm really loving my new job, and I wanted to spoil my coworkers with a nice breakfast. It worked really well! All the muffins got eaten, even though they weren't my best ever. I always think about just how lovely it is when someone makes me breakfast or a treat, and giving other people that happy feeling is awesome!

I love how the blueberries exploded in the oven to make streaks on the muffins. Unfortunately, the muffins weren't the greatest. I think this is partly because the recipe is for canned blueberries, not fresh, and partly because I was distracted with cooking supper at the same time. Still, they were wonderfully edible.


I loved going completely overboard with cooking and baking while Ralph was away. I know he doesn't like it when I get completely overwhelmed with doing 10 things at a time. I don't tend to hold back too much when he's around, but I didn't hold back at all while he was away!


Blueberry Muffins
From The Ultimate Book of Baking by Heilie Pienaar

Makes about 16 muffins

280 g cake flour
15 ml baking powder
pinch salt
160 g sugar
100 ml cooking oil
2 extra large eggs
200 ml milk
5 ml vanilla essence
425 g can of blueberries in syrup

1) Preheat oven to 180 C.
2) Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together in one bowl.
3) Mix the oil, eggs, milk and vanilla essence together in a different bowl.
4) Mix the two mixtures together and mix gently.
5) Drain the blueberries, and add to the mixture. Mix gently.
6) Split into muffin tin, and bake for 20 minutes, or until golden on top.
7) Cool on a rack, and eat for a delicious semi healthy breakfast.

I loved having these with tea for breakfast. They were such a lovely start to the day. Next time I make them with fresh blueberries, I plan to add more milk to make them moist. Otherwise, I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment