Pages

Wednesday 2 November 2011

Payback for Hansel and Gretel

Dirty Witches Fingers

I know- everyone's Halloween recipes went out AGES ago. I just didn't feel right making these cookies ahead of time. It's like celebrating your birthday early- it just feels wrong! These cookies were amazing: they look so euwww and taste so great- perfect Halloween.


Aren't they gorgeous? Ralph took the most amazing photos- and got the props! I found these a long time ago on Cake Journal, and bookmarked them with the intention of making them for Halloween. I came across Martha Stewart's recipe for them more recently, and I just trust her so much that I decided I had to try them. I didn't like that Martha painted the 'nails' though, and rather went with Cake Journal's more dirty and creepy look for the fingers (or at least I REALLY tried).


These were a real hit- and I took them everywhere. I took some to my neighbour's house as a snack with  wine, I took some to a welcome party for an old friend and I even took some to work. I really enjoyed the suspicious looks these got! They really looked dirty, and the nails look SO REAL! Then, when you bite into them they're so sweet and delicious, and the nut is slightly salty and crunchy- just gorgeous.



Dirty Witches Fingers
From Martha Stewart, look adapted from Cake Journal

2 eggs
113 g unsalted butter
1/2 cup icing sugar
5 tblspn plain white sugar
pinch salt
1 2/3 cups flour
30 blanched almonds

1) Line two baking sheets with silicone or wax paper. Preheat oven to 180 C.
2) Split one egg, set aside the white, and mix the yolk with the other egg.
3) Cream the butter, both sugars and salt.
4) Add the egg mixture. Mix thoroughly.
5) Add the flour, and mix until well blended.
6) Wrap dough in plastic wrap, and put in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
7) Unwrap, break in half, putting the other half in the fridge.
8) Break half into 15 pieces. Roll each into a long finger on a lightly floured surface, squeezing to make knuckles. When you're done, use a small knife to make indentations on the back of the knuckles. Brush with the egg white that you set aside. Finally, push in the almonds for nails.
9) Bake for about 10 minutes, or until golden around the sides.
10) Repeat for other half.

These make the house smell like cookies. I love that.. Ralph's house is quite small, and so the smell is there and then it's gone,. It's sad cause you don't walk around the house smelling yummy things. But for those few minutes while these cookies are baking, I am completely home at heart. I'm going to warn you- you might not want to eat these when they come out- they look TOTALLY eeuuwes! But just try one, and they'll grow on you!

PS. Check out my facebook page!

No comments:

Post a Comment